Saturday, September 27, 2014

Organic Bamboo & White Canisters & a little design inspiration!

Well.

I just thought I would share with you a little how my design process goes.

I haven't designed anything new for quite awhile. (that means maybe for 4 or 5 weeks now). Today I stopped in at Gayle's neat little store, Craftzilla. And I swooned over the neatest little canister set. 

I want them. I really like the simple design. Not much to them and yet ever so pretty. I find I am really attracted to simple design. Less is more they say. 

I cannot find any picture of one like it. I am loathe to spend more time online than I have to. So you will have to visualize it yourself I guess.

I came home & the vision of it still spun in my head. Suddenly I said: Wonder if I could use it as an inspiration for a card? And here is what I came up with. 

 
This isn't what the canisters looked like at all.

Truly.

But what happened is that I was trying to duplicate the horizontal lines from the canister & they reminded me of corrugated cardboard. And so because I am really liking the kraft, & red & cream combo right now, I quick created a Christmas card.

And then before I got too carried away, I duplicated the page & went back to the original idea:


(I'll let you MDS users in on the details so you can play with this idea on your own programs.)

 I enlarged the lines so they would look bigger, more like the canisters. I used Very Vanilla on the background as well as the lines. I changed the drop shadow for the line to crumb cake. (I used a background pattern in Presto Patterns digital download for the lines. Something with the lines close together works great.)

And the canisters had this rectangle with the plain writing where it said 'tea' 'coffee' and 'sugar' so I used my square punch to make a rectangle, moved the drop shadow to the top & left to hopefully create the illusion of it being recessed. (Not too successful on that part, though. A little better than the other way, I am thinking.) I left the staple in. I just like the added detail there.



Here I changed the rectangle to the flag shape and changed the font to the clean & simple style that the canisters had.

And then one more idea:


Here I had tried to add some red in the font but I disliked that idea. So I added a real red grosgrain ribbon bow & cropped it. One part for the folded ribbon look & two pieces of the tails for the other side. Added the drop shadow in Sahara Sand. I can't tell you the reasoning behind using Sahara Sand for the drop shadow on the details but Crumb Cake on the lines. But I like the subtle difference.(And by the way, I think I may be changing the shadow color more often. I've tried it before, but I finally clue in today that it makes more difference if you have a light background.)

I want to go order these printed immediately.

What do you think? What do you look for when you buy a card?
Jane


4 comments:

  1. Yes! Im the first one to comment here:):) I love these... my style is plain n elegant with one little cute thing to throw it off..like the staple:) youre awesome!
    Ana Banana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ana,
      It's taken me awhile to start liking the 'plain Jane' style, pun intended. And I was going to say that I wasn't sure if I really 'got it' but started to realize that really, who does?! I just do what I like. And I keep working on making things better.

      Delete
  2. I love simple cards also!! I agree less is more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! N I love hearing your thought process.

    ReplyDelete