Monday, November 17, 2014

Penguin Punch Art

I attended the Stampin' Up! Fall Conference this past weekend & spent some time with some amazing & inspiring demonstrators. I learned some new things, & came home with some new stamps!

There was a card contest. Everyone had the opportunity to enter a card design and qualify for a chance to win $50 worth of Stampin’ Up! product. Who can't use that?!

Here is what I was told:
The cards must be of a suitable design to be donated to the Ronald MacDonald House Charity,
Here is the judging criteria;
1)      Full card (no fronts please)
2)      Bright and cheery, image only stamps used (no text, or sentiments make this difficult)
3)      Size 5 ½ by 4 ¼ inches
4)      Submit with a suitable white mailing envelope
5)      Use current product only (definitely increases the challenge)
6)      Attach a ‘Post It Note’ to the back of the card with your name (and demonstrator ID number, if you are a demonstrator).
You are allowed to submit only one design, but you can donate as many cards as you want at the conference, of that design.  The cards will be donated to the Ronald MacDonald House after the conference. 

When I thought about making a card that someone who needed to be at Ronald McDonald house could use, I thought it needed to be fun. And recently I had been inspired with penguins. I had seen the cute penguin card Michelle Zindorf had done & it was high on my 'to make' list. {see Michelle's penguin card here}

Here is a copy of a card that is similar to the one I submitted. (I guess some things get missed sometimes...)


There were so many ways to do penguins. With hats, with wings up or down. Or with flowers or bows... One of the tricks I found that helped to make him look more like a penguin & less like a leggy owl was to adhere the punched feet section so only a little of the feet & toes showed. 
 
The penguin himself was more like the one on this next card. I couldn't submit this one because that border punch is retired... so I took the liberty & added the 'Merry Christmas'
 

And guess what! My card won. I was so shocked. I can still hardly believe it. Thanks to all those demonstrators who voted for my card. Thank-you so much.

Have a wonderful day,
Jane


Here is how I did it:
*All DSP (designer series paper) is from the All Is Calm set. I thought that paper worked really well for a snowy background.
*A torn piece of Whisper White created the snow.
*Owl Builder Punch & the bird builder punch for the wings.
*Real Red cotton ribbon, Silver 1/8 ribbon, Cherry Cobbler Baker's twine, snowflakes from the Frosted Sequins, Pumpkin Pie cardstock for the beak & feet. The rest is Silver Glimmer paper, Whisper White,  Lost Lagoon, & Basic Black cardstock 
*I used the regular stapler & the googly eyes were from the dollar store.







11 comments:

  1. That is sooo cool...love your Penguin!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to give the penguin a scarf yet... but wasn't sure how.

      Delete
  2. I love the second one! All the glitter;) congrats on ur win that must have felt amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you! It felt so amazing & yet so unreal. Like why would someone choose mine? There were a lot of gorgeous cards...

      I like all the glitz too!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank-you! There is something so charming about punch art... once I quit thinking of all the work of assembling all those pieces :)

      Delete
  4. Way to go! Very cute card, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jane that's awesome for you! And it's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not surprised :) Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank-you for all your sweet comments & support. I appreciate it so much.

    ReplyDelete