Friday, January 23, 2015

CHALLENGE SPARK + NEGATIVE SPACE

  
THE CHALLENGE SPARK! WEEK THREE!

I've been looking forward to showing you these all week! 

Sometimes a person needs a challenge to spark that fun spontaneous creativity.  (You can read about week one here & how this all started.) Now introductions over, this is week three & we are playing with negative space... 

What exactly is negative space? We often cut something out & glue it onto the card. That is the positive space. The piece that you cut something out of is the negative space. The black piece on these cards I made is the negative space, letting the pretty paper beneath it show through.

Grace from Create It Because You Can & Tara from Country Girl {Creates} are both along with this challenge! I chose this week's challenge to use negative space. Check out their blogs to see what they came up with!

The inspiration for this card came when I was searching for masculine card ideas. I am not sure how the idea really came to be, like so many ideas, this one just morphed into an idea that needed trying.




I started by brayering daffodil delight, calypso coral, tangelo twist & real red (in that order) onto Whisper White Cardstock. 

Then I took a piece of Basic Black Cardstock & using a pencil, traced an oval (I used an oval framelits). I also scored lightly a 1/4" from the top & bottom to guide my cutting edge. I found the center of the piece & using my Stampin' Trimmer I cut my the vertical lines, starting 1/4" in from the top, stopping at the pencil line & continued until 1/4" from the bottom.

I found it the simplest to start at the center & work my way to the outside. Once I had the vertical lines cut, I turned it sideways & used the trimmer to cut across. This Stampin' Trimmer has a point to show you exactly where the knife is & then I could cut just from 1 cut line to the next. I used a utility knife to cut around the oval.


The red version I cut out larger spaces than the black & I did the opposite with this blue one. Here I used Pool Party, Coastal Cabana, Bermuda Bay, Island Indigo & then came back & did the one corner with Old Olive after I cleaned my brayer.

And truth be told, it was probably half of my efforts at cutting that black cardstock that landed in the trash. I wouldn't say this was exactly easy.

The 'Hello You' thinlits live up to their 'thin' name. I am finding that a stapler is the easiest in fastening the word, but if you do not like that look, then use Stampin' Up!s glue pen. That makes it so much easier.

Enjoy!
Jane

Oh, yeah. Just about forgot to tell you about next weeks challenge. It's to make a card that looks like Northern Lights. Sound hard? Check out this Northern Lights Tutorial. I can't wait to see what all kinds of ideas come with this one! 


Built for Free Using: My Stampin Blog

3 comments:

  1. YES! We can always use more masculine cards! Like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! this looks like more work than I'd be capable of but I love it!

    ReplyDelete