Thursday, January 8, 2015

THE CHALLENGE SPARK! & BOKEH TECHNIQUE



Introducing: THE CHALLENGE SPARK!

A fellow demonstrator friend Grace & I are challenging each other each week to come up with something creative. We will post the results on our respective blogs each week so you can follow along! 

You know, sometimes a person needs a challenge to spark that fun spontaneous creativity. I find it is okay to challenge myself, but sometimes I just need someone else to call the challenge. So here we go... 

This week was my turn & I chose the challenge of creating Bokeh with paper & ink. Grace is posting her card to her blog: Create It Because You Can!

Are you asking "What ever is Bokeh?" Bokeh, also known as “Boke” is one of the most popular subjects in photography. The reason why it is so popular, is because Bokeh makes photographs visually appealing, forcing us to focus our attention on a particular area of the image. The word comes from Japanese language, which literally translates as “blur”. (direct quote taken from Photography Life

Bokeh is properly pronounced with bo as in bone and ke as in Kenneth, with equal stress on either syllable.
 

HOW I DID IT:

I started with watercolor paper, thoroughly brushed with water. Then I dipped my brush (regular artist brush) into re-inker. I used Daffodil Delight, Pretty In Pink & Melon Mambo. I started with the lightest color & worked to the darkest, that way I kept my colors the cleanest. Simply dip into re-inker & drop onto the watercolor paper. And the way the ink spreads on the wet paper gets me excited. Every single time. 

Then let it dry. 

Next I made a mask with circles framelits & a window sheet or acetate & used my Craft Vanilla ink & a sponge dauber to make the circles. I started with the largest circle and worked to the smaller ones. I would suggest to let the circles overlap. I think it is more pleasing to the eye. Also try to make your smaller circles more opaque than the larger ones. Craft ink dries more slowly than the regular ink does, so you may need to let it dry in between.   



And then assemble how you like! I added the sequins (from the Frosted Sequins) & small clear bubbles (Crystal Effects) to add even more interest. 


 
I found this video very helpful from Stamp Away With Me

 
For next weeks challenge, Grace is choosing an emboss resist with a vintage twist.  So check back next week to see my take on the challenge! (or better yet, just subscribe to these posts & you will not miss a single one!)

And if this inspires you to crack open your ink pads or ink refills, please add your blog link into the comment section. I would be so pleased to see your inspiration! 

This link will take you to see the Bokeh cards that have inspired me.



Built for Free Using: My Stampin Blog

6 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous card! I will have to try this technique someday soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The whole process is really addicting...

      Delete
  2. This is all new to me and I'm noticing there are different techniques to the technique, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I just might enter another card for this week's challenge, now that I've seen what Bokeh can really look like! Right down my alley!

      Delete
    2. Who says there is a limit on the number of cards made for a challenge! And yes, there really are so many different ways to do each technique.

      Delete
  3. This card is so pretty, feminine, and bright without being glam. I love it.

    ReplyDelete