Monday, February 9, 2015

A LITTLE BUTTERFLY EMBOSS RESIST




So here I went & made another card with emboss resist. I made this card at the same time as I made the one for The Challenge Spark! You can see it  here. 

I was trying to come up with a card that used the emboss resist technique as well as looked vintage.


I embossed the Happy Birthday sentiment onto vellum so you could see the collage stamping beneath. And I added the stitching for texture. I kinda like the imperfect back & forth stitching on the corners.

I first stamped the butterflies from Butterfly Basics & Papillon Potpourri with Versa Mark ink onto Naturals White Cardstock & embossed with clear embossing powder. If you do not want the stamping to show through, then do the embossing first. If you want the stamping to show through the embossing, then stamp with your ink colors first, then emboss.

Now comes the fun part: I used Sahara Sand, Old Olive & Crisp Canteloupe on the next stamps. The ink soaks into the paper but the embossed image resists it & the butterflies emerge through the color! Next I used Pool Party & my trusty brayer to get the sky shading from dark at the top to light at the bottom. Last of all I sponged the edges & wiped the embossed butterflies with a baby wipe. It just cleans the ink off the embossed image to give an even clearer contrast!

Here is what I am finding to work when stamping a collage look. It helps to choose different shades of light & dark to work with. Stamp off on a scrap paper first to get a lighter color if you need to. Use the darker colors for your main image. I like to use repeated patterns & small stamps for additional stamping in the background & then I use lighter colors for these. 

Have a great day!
Jane



1 comment: