Friday, February 27, 2015

CHALLENGE SPARK! + FANCY FOLD CARD



CHALLENGE SPARK! WEEK EIGHT
  I can hardly believe I've been doing this for 8 weeks already! This week's challenge is a fancy fold card. Grace from Create It Because You Can  & Tara from Country Girl {Creates} are playing along with this. You want to check out their blogs to see what these artistic women came up with! (Grace chose this challenge.)


 I really like fancy fold cards & I've definitely played around with a few different styles. I do not make many because I make a lot of my cards to sell, I end up sticking to the basic 4 1/4 x 5 1/2 size. They are the easiest to display & they make wonderful card jackets for them so they don't get all fingerprinted & stained. So I was glad to have this challenge to break me out of my normal routine. That has got to be a healthy thing to do!



Last week in the Artisan Design Team blog hop Allison Okamitsu @ Nice People Stamp!  did this style of masking & collage stamping. I could hardly wait to give it a try. Here I used Sahara Sand, Crisp Canteloupe & Metallics Gold. 
 

Here you can see how this fancy fold works. This card measures 6" x 6". So I took a 12" x 12" piece of the Irristibly DSP (you can see it in the Sale-A-Bration catalogue) & cut it in half. Then I scored it at 6" & 9". Then I took another 6" square piece from the same paper for the front. 

This card is big & to give it some extra support I added an extra piece to the bottom & the top. (the sturdy cardboard that comes with your patterned paper works wonderful for this! This cardboard also does a lovely job of giving dimension, just cut slightly smaller than your square & adhere with glue runner. No more messing with dimensionals on a large project! Yeah!)

One other important detail: this card needs something to prop it up. So I used the snowflakes embellishments (long retired...) & colored them with my blendabilities so they would match the vintage look of my card.

Now I'm getting ready for next week's challenge. It's my turn to choose & I chose 'found elements' or 'found art'. I was thinking mostly of using something that you don't buy from your scrapbook store, but rather something that we already have. Like a bit of corrugated cardboard, or scrap of an old letter or something down that line. 

See you next week!
Jane

2 comments:

  1. Love everything about your card! I like that fold but haven't found nerve yet to try it myself. Maybe one day...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have done what I only dream of doing! Lovely card! Maybe next week...! Or next month...!

    ReplyDelete