Friday, March 27, 2015

CHALLENGE SPARK! + A QUILT BLOCK CARD


It's time for
THE CHALLENGE SPARK! 

Here we go for week twelve...

 This week I chose the challenge of recreating a Quilt on a card. It's been something I've seen on Pinterest & at first I wasn't so excited. It kinda grew on me. But some of these techniques that require numerous steps & being fussy about the little details I often push off. So I figured let's choose it as a challenge & then there is no getting around it. 



Do be sure to check out my friend Grace's blog:  Create It Because You Can. Also please visit Tara at her blog: Country Girl {Creates}.  I love watching how we can have the same challenge & yet the cards these girls come up with are beautiful & so different from the others. 

For my Bargello Quilt card I started out with 1/2" strips of this beautiful Something Borrowed designer series paper. I just loved how this worked & I didn't have to fight to find co-ordinating paper. Way to go, Stampin' Up!

Then I cut them in varying widths & adhered them to a piece of copy paper. I found for the small strips it worked the best to put the glue down on the paper then put the piece down. You can see a little of the glue in the bottom of this next picture:

 

 


I will not delude you into thinking this card is easy. I wouldn't say it is really difficult either. A few hints to help you recreate it: 

1. Use lots of adhesive. You will end up cutting the strips into little strips across & if there isn't much glue on it, the little pieces fall off. You don't really want to be spending your time finding the little pieces & gluing them back into the right spot.

2. Be careful cutting across the strips. My cutter wanted to catch at the edges & pull them up & wrinkle the. I ended up smoothing them down & counting on the embossing hiding some of the imperfections. Which I think worked quite nicely.

3. To get a nice detail for Bargello quilt cards it works the best on larger cards. My card is 6" square.

And then you need a pretty envelope for a card like this. I used my envelope punch board & making a matching envelope is easy!








I wanted to do a crisp canteloupe flower with a clear glass button... but alas! No button.. so I dug into my Sale-A-Bration stash & thought this twine & button really did the job. I'm smiling right now... those thin little threads I pulled from the twine! 








There are only 4 more days left to Sale-A-Bration! There have been a lot of free options added... so if you want to place an order yet before the end of March, please contact me using the form on this blog... And I'll get you some pretty neat free supplies!

You can find the main Sale-A-Bration flyer here. 

Plus they added more fun products! See them here.

Next week the challenge is to use Designer Series Paper, also known as DSP.  That is Stampin' Up! language for patterned paper.

Smiles!
Jane

Built for Free Using: My Stampin Blog


4 comments:

  1. What a lovely card... and isn't that twine simply delicious?? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HIYAYI!!! You went to a lotta work! Beautiful beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Beautiful!! My mother(s) was love this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I It is fun making something beautiful but it is even more meaningful when others also enjoy it. Thank-you so much for your positive words!

    ReplyDelete